Sunday, November 21, 2010

Written Prayer

I'm going to assume something about you. Please forgive me if I'm wrong, because I may very well be! I'm going to assume that it's easier for you to write a to-do list than to pray. You may even prioritize the former over the latter. I have done this and I can easily pinpoint at least one reason why. I'm a doer. I love tasks. I love being active. There is a lot of activity going on around me and I get swept up in it and do, do, do most of the day long. One thing that falls by the wayside due to all of my busyness is concentrated prayer. I pray on the fly a lot, but rarely do I sit down for any extended period of time to be still and pray to the Lord in a thorough and intentional way.

I've been advised numerous times throughout my Christian life to keep a prayer journal, but I'm not much of a journaler, so I usually brush that idea aside. The idea resurfaced recently, however, because I knew that I needed to find some way to discipline myself in this area and trying to sit and pray in my mind usually resulted in drifting off into my mental list of the day's to-dos.

Writing my prayers down has not only kept me focused as I pray, but I can re-read the prayers that I have recorded and see how the Lord answers them over time, according to His good and perfect will. I pray that you will find this to be as much of a blessing in your spiritual life as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment