Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Working a Work-Out into Your Day

As young moms our days are so full of activity, but the activity is usually centered around the kids and not us. There are certain things that we inevitably have to cut out - tv, long phone conversations (while the kids are awake), etc. - but one thing we shouldn't cut out is exercise. I recently went to the doctor and when questioned about how much exercise I was getting she responded to my answer with a mere, "okay good, that's what you should be doing." I was shocked because I exercise about six days a week, which I assumed was more than average. It struck me that what I was doing for joy (I really love to exercise) was an essential component to staying healthy. So while this may not be a season when you can spend hours a day training for a marathon (you may hope that you're never in that season!), there are plenty of things that you can do to stay fit. And let me encourage you that anything is better than nothing!

1. Chase your kids around. If your kids are old enough, take them to an open field. Bring balls or other toys with you and run around the field with your little ones. Play Red-Rover (run hard until you get to them), baseball, soccer, Simon Says (Simon can require push-ups, running to a tree in the distance, etc.). If you don't love to exercise, this is a great way to combine fitness and fun and you may be so distracted that you won't notice you're actually getting a work-out in!

2. Let your kids play in the middle of a field while you run up and down the field or run around a track surrounding the field. You might have to modify this depending on your children's ages. Bring some toys and place your kiddos in the middle of a field. Jog or sprint up the field (one length) and then walk or slowly jog back to the other end. Try to do this at least ten times. You don't have to do it consecutively either. Stop and play with your kids every couple of lengths. You can even try to "race" with your older kids to keep them content and get them involved, too.

3. Walk early or late with a friend. One of the best ways to fit in exercise and (much needed) adult interaction is to meet up with a friend at a particular time of the day or week while your husbands watch the kids. You can hold one another accountable and it's a wonderful way to begin or build-up a friendship.

4. Exercise videos. There are tons of them out there and you can do it in the morning before the kids get up, during naptime, or after they go to bed at night. If your children are more independent (mine are not), then they could play around you while you work out.
Here's an example of a pretty intense one: PX90 http://www.extremebodyworkout.com/p90x-products/p90x.php

5. YMCA. Most YMCAs (and other fitness centers like them) have child-care now. Your children can play while you workout. If (and only if) they like this, everybody wins!

6. The Couch-to-5K. I have a dear friend who is doing this now. She has three small children about 18 months or less apart in age, and she loves it! It is a lot of interval training, which, I believe, is the best way to slowly ease back into running. Check it out here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

7. Sign up for a race. Another great motivation is to have a goal to shoot for. Sign up for a 5K in your area. You can choose a fun one (on a holiday or with bands or other entertainment) or one that supports a worthy cause. This will give you incentive to stick to your running/walking plan. I recommend that you pay for the registration early. Then you'll be less inclined to drop-out during your training period.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post! It's so true. I NEVER work out in the traditional sense. But I sure do work hard! I walk to the park, to the store, school, church when ever I can. I push the stroller and sometimes take the long way to things just to get more walking in. Also, I hate video games but my husband loves them. My husband and daughter play the Wii Fit games on winter evenings and it gets them moving all around the house when it's too cold outside to play.

    ReplyDelete