Saturday, November 20, 2010

Surviving the Check-Out Line

I have a gift. I don't mean to brag, but it's remarkable really. I can always find the slowest line at the check-out. I end my shopping trip by scouring for what seems at the time to be the quickest line, and then, almost inevitably I stand and watch as customer after customer in the lines adjacent to mine breeze through. Now it's possible (probable) that this observation has more to do with my perception of the situation than the reality of it. After carting and chasing kids through the store while trying to make sure I've covered everything on my list, I'm ready to get out of there. The check-out line is the last hurdle we have to get over before we head home, so any hindrance can, and frequently does, cause major frustration. Although it's a mundane little task, I've found that I need to start preparing myself for check-out time prior to our arrival.

Here are some things you can do to make it a more pleasant experience:

1. Bring something for your kids to eat. Try to find something that will take a long time to eat. Perhaps something in a bag that they have to reach in to get. You can play a game to see if they can pull out one piece at a time.

2. Hand songs. Depending on their age, this could keep them amused for a short while.

3. Tell a story that will keep them in suspense.

4. Make it a learning opportunity. Sing the alphabet, practice counting to ten in Spanish or French, or count to ten backwards.

5. Pray for the cashier. Confession: this post is a result of multiple experiences I had in stores this past week. Instead of trying to make the most of my time in line, I spent it thinking of all of things the cashier was doing to inhibit me from getting on my way. I'm determined to pray for him/her now instead - a far more productive and loving way to fare the wait in line.

No comments:

Post a Comment