Sunday, November 14, 2010

From the Time Management and Organization Queen!

Here's a guest post from my dear friend who has taught me tons, by example, on time management and organization. Enjoy!

I often feel like there aren't enough hours in the day. My day starts early when my son wakes up and I get him ready for school before I head to work. The morning brings a hive of activity. I am usually scurrying around, racing the clock hoping I can squeeze in all the things I need to do before I leave the house. By the end of the evening, I fall into bed after a full day.

I am definitely a planner, but I am constantly trying to hone my organizational skills so that I feel like I am using my time wisely. I have found that I am intentional about the way I spend most of my time these days. As a working Mom, I want to spend quality time with my family, have a productive day at work, and handle all of my other responsibilities at home. Here are the top ten things that help me feel like I am able to keep up with the quick pace of life these days:

1. Prioritize - I love keeping a "to do" list. I keep it in my planner and remind myself to have realistic expectations for tackling a little bit at a time. This helps me at work and at home by allowing me to order the importance of the tasks at home. I recognize that I cannot do all the things on the list each day, so I choose what I feel is most pressing that day.

2. Do your work at work - My job can be intense during the day, so I try to practice healthy boundaries by going home on time each day and leaving the issues of the day at work once I head home. After all, everything at work will be waiting for me the next day!

3. Tag team - Come up with a way to split up your responsibilities at home so that you are not taking on too much. While you are at home, you want to be spending time with your loved ones, not slaving away over an unreasonably long list of chores. Divvy up household responsibilities with your spouse or give your older children different chores if they are able to help.

4. Cook with a Slow Cooker/Crockpot - it is wonderful to arrive home to the smell of the tasty dinner you have already prepared simply by plunking ingredients into a slow cooker on your way out the door.

5. Wash clothes at night - Before I go to sleep, I start a load of laundry. When I wake up, I put the clothes in the dryer and try to fold them when I get home from work that evening.

6. Get plenty of rest - Enough said!

7. Catch up on phone calls in transit - Keeping up with family and friends is very important to me, but it can be difficult once I get home and begin my son's bedtime routine. I like to catch up on phone calls while I am inching along in traffic. Of course, this only works if you can drive safely and talk at the same time!

8. Take time for yourself in the evenings - At the end of the evening, take time for yourself to wind down from the day. I love to read each night before I go to sleep. It is a relaxing way to end the day.

9. Use the weekends to recharge - Don't over-schedule your weekends so that you have time to recover from the week. Feel comfortable saying "no" to social invitations and ensure that you will be able to enjoy some free time before your busy week starts again. Take time to enjoy resting and spending time with family and friends!

1 comment: