Friday, October 15, 2010

Verse Memorization

I recently attended a Bible study where the teacher, a grandmother of three, exhorted us to, “memorize while you are still young.” She said that she attempted to memorize Psalm 119 –the longest chapter in the Bible, mind you- a short time ago and just couldn’t do it. I was convicted that I, a young woman, haven’t even tried to memorize short verses lately! I could insert several caveats here – I am the mother of two very busy little boys, I clean my own house, cook full dinners almost every night of the week, etc., etc., etc., but I’m not going to. I’m not going to because, if I did, I would be prioritizing these (precious things) above learning and meditating on the very written Word of God!

Here are some simple suggestions to get you started:

1. Write a verse on a notecard and tape it to the mirror in your bathroom, the space above your sink, your car's dashboard or wherever you know you will be spending some time during the day. Leave it up for a week or two, and then replace it with another one.

2. Keep a Bible by your bed. Mark a verse with a bookmark and read it when you wake in the morning and before going to bed at night.

3. If you need accountability, memorize with your husband or even your kids.

The Lord promises us through His prophet that, “My Word shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11. This is God's promise (and a good verse to memorize :))! And as He has been faithful to fulfill ALL of His promises, you can rest assured that He will fulfill this promise as well!

Not sure where to begin? Here are some that I've chosen in the past:

“Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” 1 John 5:5

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

"Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!" Psalm 139:23-24

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand." Proverbs 19:21

No comments:

Post a Comment