Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rest Up for the Sabbath

I've been having an issue during our church services as of late. I can not seem to stay alert during an entire service and I am 100% convinced that the problem rests entirely on me and not on external factors.

Because this is one of the most important parts of my week, I'm determined to resolve the issue pronto. I've decided that a major problem is how I spend my Saturdays. As I anticipate the coming Sunday as a "day of rest," I try to get as much as I can done on Saturday so that I won't have work to do on the Lord's Day (e.g. laundry, house cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.). Let me just pause here to say this doesn't mean that I leave messes on the floor until Monday or refuse to go to the store if I notice that we're out of milk. It does mean that my family and I set Sunday apart as a day to participate in corporate worship and refrain from doing the "work" that we endeavor in all week long.

So back to Saturday...I shop, clean, anticipate needs that might arise on Sunday and spend time with family (which, with two little boys and an active husband, means physical activity). While these things may seem like legitimate undertakings, it wipes me out completely! By the time Sunday worship rolls around, my body responds to the long overdue sitting position (with relative quiet) by switching into a relaxation mode that just about knocks me flat in the pew!

Not only do I want to get the most out of worship as I possibly can, but I don't want to distract the pastor with my fatigued head bobbing as he preaches. My husband is a preacher and I am well aware that they see what's going on in the congregation from the other side of the pulpit!

Something needs to be done and here's my plan to make future Saturdays less hectic and exhausting, so that the Sabbath can be more restful and worshipful.

*I used to grocery shop on Saturdays, and now I'll try to go during the week.

*I often left house cleaning for Saturday and now I'm going to see that I get that done gradually from Monday to Friday.

*We're going to try our best to avoid Saturday night outings that will result in getting home late.

*I'm going to make sure I'm in bed at a decent hour on Saturday night.

You may not struggle with this same issue, but if you do, I hope this is helpful! And if you have any more ideas, please let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment