Monday, March 28, 2011

Savor These Days

What I am about to say is only a reminder of something that I'm sure you've been told repeatedly. But if you're anything like me, you won't mind the reminder.

I was with a mom today who mentioned that her youngest of three skipped playing with much of the baby or young toddler stuff because he was always more interested in what his older siblings were doing. This meant jumping straight to StarWars - forget Winnie the Pooh! My heart sank a little when I heard this. If, Lord willing, we have another child, he or she will likely forego - or at least speed past - some of the sweetest characters of early childhood. Of course this won't necessarily be the case, but it won't be the same as it was with the first, and it won't be the same as it was with just two. It will be better, because we'll be including another precious gift from the Lord into our home, but it won't be the same. While my heart did sink at the idea of change (it always does a little), it was a timely reminder to savor these moments. There won't be others exactly like them.

I've been thinking about the idea of savoring these days with little ones a lot lately, and trying to act on it, hence my sudden lack of consistent posts on this blog. However imperfectly, I'm trying to soak up this time with my joyful 3-year-old and my edible 1-year-old (adjectives acceptable by mommy's license). :) The sporadic posts will likely continue in the future, but now you'll know why!

No comments:

Post a Comment