Friday, September 10, 2010

Dreading Lunchtime?

If you're anything like me, 11am rolls around and I start to panic. I have a 2 1/2-year-old and an eleven-month-old and a fridge full of food, and yet I can't think of anything to fix for lunch. After months of dealing with this, I decided to consult the professionals - at least I hope they're professionals - for help.

I found one website, eatingwell.com, that was very helpful. Here are some of examples of lunch ideas:

HUMMUS (OR LOW-FAT SALAD DRESSING) AND VEGGIES
SMOOTHIES
MINI-QUICHES
MINI-PIZZAS
TUSCAN-STYLE TUNA SALAD

The most helpful tips/inspirations were the wrap. I usually don't think to buy a whole-wheat tortilla or pita and fill it with whatever we have on hand, from peanut butter and jelly to tuscan-style tuna salad.

Smoothies are fantastic, too. You can tell your child that it's "like ice cream" and you can add all kinds of healthy fruits, yogurt and even hide some veggies in there! I heard from a friend that smoothies mask the flavor of spinach, who knew?!

You can make the mini-pizzas yourself and feel the freedom to change up the ingredients every time. The "dough" can come in the form of an english muffin, pastry cup, toasted wheat bread cut out in little shapes (free-hand or cookie cutters). Start with tomato sauce or BBQ sauce and add pepperoni, cooked ground beef or turkey, shredded deli meat, chicken, cooked salmon, etc.. Then top with peppers, celery, onions, broccoli, carrots, cherry tomatoes, etc.. Finally top the scrumptious meal with cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment